If your dog is anything like mine, they are completely incorrigible. We had to get a trainer in super early to show us how to handle her because she was so mischievous and cheeky! That trainer was amazing and provided us with this recipe for some stinky Tuna Cake that our dog Pepper goes absolutely doo-lally for. As she has such a strong mind of her own, she doesn’t always come back to us or follows command for the shop – bought treats but she will do anything we ask for a piece of this cake. So, I think it’s only fair that I share it with all of you! It’s also really crumbly so you can use it to guide your dog whilst they munch.
Prep Time 5 Mins Cook time 5 mins
· 2 tins of Tuna in Sunflower oil
· 2 Medium Eggs
· 160g (6oz) Wholemeal or Plain Flour
· 2 Garlic cloves
1. Into a mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients to form a thick (and smelly) paste.
2. Scrape this into a microwavable container (I use a 1L container from Morrisons) and flatten until smooth.
3. With the lid only lightly placed on top, microwave for 4 minutes. Allow the cake to rest for 1 minute with the microwave door open and then cook for a further 1 minute.
4. Remove the cake out of the container and leave to cool – This will be extremely hot so be careful when handling!!
5. Once completely cool, cut into small cubes of roughly 3cm x 3cm and put into a sealable container (because your dog WILL be able to smell this from miles away)
*Use tip – My puppy absolutely loves this treat so I usually save it for best so she doesn’t get sick of it. 1 bath of this usually lasts me 2 weeks and I use it for training, recall and walks to ensure really good behaviour; even on a full stomach.
*Storage – These cake chunks are best stored in the fridge if not used in the near future.